The last time I released any new music was in September 2011. It’s been ages and my piano playing was largely neglected due various commitments and general apathy. My messy split from a band I was in turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I found my hunger for writing for piano once again.
When I recorded my first album ‘Regression Play’, they were largely compositions written between 2004 and 2010. Sitting at a piano in September 2012 it dawned on me that it’s been 2 years since I’ve written anything for piano and I had no idea how it was going to turn out. I’ve never written music ‘about’ anything. If it sounded good, I’d record it and give is a random title. This time around, it’s a bit different.
This new album is about things that happened last year. The titles may give a clue as to the story, maybe not. At some point when the ‘story’ is complete, I’ll list the titles and the eventual album name. Anyway, enough rambling, here are some key facts about the new album.
- The album will have at least 10 tracks on it
- Six have been recorded so far
- One of the tracks I have just recorded is just over 11 minutes long
- A few of the tracks have some string parts with them
- I have already decided on a name for the album
- I will probably release the album sometime in May/June
- I will release 2 singles before it’s release
- THERE WILL BE MUSIC VIDEOS!
So there we are, that’s basically all the information I have about this new album. Musically, it’s more technical and advanced than the first album. There are some crazy time signatures in there and and some shifts and changes, but somehow they all work. If you’re a fan of tracks like ‘Skating in Circles’ and ‘Like Nothing Else’ then you’ll probably love this album.